Child getting on trainThis is the first post in a series of articles which will address the question of whether an unmarried parent can move a child out of Arkansas. I consider it important to address this question due to the fact that it is commonly raised amongst parents. Also, relocating a child out of state is often one of the most contentious issues which parents may face. The goal of my coming articles is to provide information which can help you to understand more about your situation. If you or a loved one are in need of assistance then contact us online or by telephone to speak with a Little Rock child relocation lawyer.

I will be addressing multiple topics over my coming articles. Issues which I will analyze include:

  • How the establishment of paternity impacts such cases
  • How the existence of a current custody order will impact such matters
  • Relocation involving an unmarried parent when no custody order is in place
  • The process of requesting permission to relocate

I have chosen to address these topics for multiple reasons. First, if paternity has not been established then there is nothing preventing a mother from moving out of state. This is a common misperception amongst parents. Second, if a custody order is in place then it will be necessary to gain the permission of the court in order to move. Third, if there is a no custody order in place, and a parent attempts to move, then they may quickly find themselves being required to move back to Arkansas. Finally, understanding what to expect from the process is important to ensuring that your matter is handled properly.

One point I will be stressing in each of these articles is the need to speak to an attorney immediately if you are considering moving out of state with your child. Child relocation cases can involve complicated legal issues and, again, are often hotly contested. Our firm understands that this is an important time in your life and we will ensure that your interests are protected. Contact us online or by telephone to schedule an initial consultation. We also handle matters in Fayetteville, Fort Smith, Springdale, Jonesboro, North Little Rock, Conway, Rogers, Pine Bluff, and throughout the rest of Arkansas.